The fully restored eighteenth century Hammond Gristmill houses the original granite millstones dated 1757. The mill was very important to local farmers, grinding their whitecap flint corn into corn meal for the famous Rhode Island jonnycakes. A succession of milling families lived in the Birthplace house and operated the gristmill. One such family, the Hammonds, were widely-known for their finely ground cornmeal. They lived here and operated the gristmill from 1813 â 1867. After a final restoration in 2007, water once again powered the millstones of the Hammond Gristmill, grinding corn for the first time in almost one hundred years.